Friday, February 29, 2008

Random thoughts running


A Calgary spring miracle. Three inches of snow gone by afternoon yesterday so today I was back on the hill. With music loud in my head - drowning out the sound of my breathing there is space for random thinking. Some thoughts I understand and some I don't. Start with the things I don't. I was thinking about horses again - why do I do that so much on the hill. Am I back at age 8 pretending I am a horse. Anyhow thoughts went to the barn and the time I cleaned the horses stalls just for the heck of it. There was almost a foot of straw and manure - gushy and smelly. I worked for several hours with pitchford, shovel and wheel barrel. It was great to find the floor and felt so good to see it. WHere did that thought come from?

Lots of random thoughts on the trails. Deep an important learning?.......Well probably not. Here are some of the observations and what I thought about on the hill. Well used trails that don't get much sun have the most ice and snow on them. High trails have less ice than low trails especially the ones that are wide and pave. They are really icy. Its important to look up from dodging dog poo and rocks to see the sun rise over the prairie. Sometimes not so well used paths get you to better place. On the other hand just going off the trail trying to find a short cut usually just gets you more lost and in more briers. Saskatoons grow the best on the less used path in the direct morning sun. The temperature must be different for me than the Chinese grandma with her toque and hat and dog. I guess when you move fast you need less help to stay warm. Sometimes when you think too much its hard to run. Sometimes when you think a lot its easier.

No comments: