Saturday, October 12, 2013

Women Friends


On Monday I ran where I had not been
To find the walking route for your visit
This week has been as many
Work and worry
Writing and teaching
Emptying my pitcher
Serving and caring
Listening and attending

I was looking forward to our walk
Friday I allow space for me but
You are sick and so we will walk another week
Most times I don’t mind
Even enjoy
The time alone with the autumn leaves
The chilly air and expanse of cars and city
I can think better when moving and sweating

Not today
Today I am just lonely
I was looking forward to our talk
Of men, children,
Of spiritual things and testimony
Our womanly joys and disappointments
Our personal and tender concerns
Stories of the past and new challenges
The laughter and tears and of course
The exercise

 

Instead I write this poem
Sad to miss our time
Grateful for your friendship and
Your example
What I learn from you
How our time energizes and relaxes me
Get well my friend

 

No comments: