Sunday, March 24, 2013

El Paso to Houston


We are gaining speed
 I wait for the second it happens
The familiar pull, the drag, the weightless lift
We are up
The earth expands and shrinks
I can see more and less
Is the world more or less clear
From up here?
Do I know more about this city
Because I can see it from above?
Or
Is the truth in
The sand the cactus or the wind
The grit and heat of the desert?

Detached I watch the mountains
Ripple against the plain
The roads winding between endless horizons
I wonder
Who and what is down there?
What is it like to be there?
In that world?
Two feet on that land?

 The moment comes when we
Begin our return to earth
The engines cut power and
Measured descent begins
In the clouds we are tossed
By unseen currents
Flying blind through the clouds
Faith and instruments guiding us
 
Suddenly the clouds open
The world is green
Lush trees and water
A wet and foggy world
So far from the dryness of desert
We straighten ourselves and wait
Anticipate the transition that is landing
We have arrived  
But not yet home

No comments: